There is no magic way to avoid cancer, unfortunately. But with the right indications we can reduce the chances of developing it. At least that’s what a new report from the Global Fund for Cancer Research, which has concluded that obesity and overweight cause at least 12 different types of cancer, five more than hitherto directly related to a high BMI
The study, called ‘Diet, nutrition, physical activity and cancer: a global perspective’, is the result of research analysis involving 51 million people and 17 types of cancer. It is a meticulous analysis of evidence by independent experts from around the world, and provides evidence that changing lifestyles is crucial to reduce the risk of disease.
Steps to reduce the risk by 40%
This review found that we mainly drink water, limit sugary drinks and avoid alcohol to have a greater chance of avoiding cancer. Also, experts warn that junk food, prepared dishes and red meat should be consumed only in moderation, in favor of a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables.
The agency details ten key points that can reduce the chances of contracting the disease by up to 40%:
1) Maintain a healthy weight
2) Stay physically active. Walk more, do gardening, housework … You have to sit less and reduce the time of consumption of television, computers, phones and tablets.
3) Eat five servings (400 g) of fruit and vegetables a day, in particular green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, eggplant and tubers; and fruits of different colors, as well as whole grains and legumes such as beans and lentils.
4) Leave completely “fast food” and other processed foods rich in fats, starches or sugars, such as ready meals, snacks, bakery products, desserts and sweets.
5) No more than three servings of red meat, such as beef, pork and lamb, a week (350-500g). And it takes little or no processed meat.
6) Drink mainly water and drinks without sugar; Avoid fruit juices.
7) Do not drink alcohol.
8) Avoid dietary supplements: try to meet nutritional needs only with diet.
9) For mothers: they should breastfeed their baby. Breastfeeding is good for both her and the little one.
10) Follow the above recommendations even after cancer diagnosis. Consult, also, with a health professional.